Unhappy Burns leaves Warren
Ricky Burns has parted with promoter Frank Warren, according to the WBO lightweight champion's manager.
- Related Content
Alex Morrison has told the scotsman.com the pair have decided to split with Warren after his unification fight with Miguel Vazquez next week was put back to April 20.
It is the second successive fight Burns has seen fall by the wayside after his December defence against Jose Ocampo was called off at short notice, and late stand-in Liam Walsh also pulled out following a car crash.
Morrison was reported to be furious by the news of Vazquez's withdrawal earlier this week amid rumours that the Mexican was fit but had still not agreed terms for the fight.
Warren was hoping to have 'clear the air' talks with Morrison and Burns but the Coatsbridge boxer has clearly made up his mind to move on.
"I regret it has come to this because I have known Frank for nearly 40 years, but it has to be for Ricky's sake," Morrison said.
"I felt we to do something to stop Ricky stagnating. Two fights have been called off after he has trained hard for them and it was not even certain that the bout with Vazquez would have gone ahead on April 20.
"In fact, I now doubt very much that fight was ever going to happen."
It could now pave the way for Burns to fight WBC champion Adrien Broner, with the outspoken American already having been turned down once by the Scot earlier this year.
Warren's March 16 show at Wembley fell apart with Nathan Cleverly - his sole remaining world champion - also falling ill with a stomach bug and fringe contender George Groves joining Matchroom at the weekend.
He continued to stress that the show would be re-arranged for April 17 but that now looks unlikely, with Cleverly's WBO light-heavyweight title defence against Robin Krasniqi up in the air.
Burns is the latest high profile fighter to leave Warren with Kell Brook, Tony Bellew, James DeGale and George Groves all looking to further their careers elsewhere.