Murray prepares to fight again

  • Last Updated: February 26 2013, 13:49 GMT

John Murray hopes to make a swift return to the ring after a neurosurgeon gave him the all clear to resume his career.

John Murray: Hopes for return to the ring

Murray was due to challenge Gavin Rees for his British and Commonwealth lightweight titles last December, but he was forced to pull out after a medical showed signs of a swollen pituitary gland in his brain.

The 28-year-old Mancunian has been out-of-action since then, but he is confident the British Boxing Board of Control will let him fight again after reviewing the results of fresh scans.

Murray told the Manchester Evening News: "I had a letter off the neurosurgeon last week, who'd looked at the scans and said as far as he was concerned there was nothing wrong.

"And I've been to see a specialist in pituitary glands at Salford Royal, she's had a look at them, and at high definition scans, and she didn't think there was anything there.

"It's great news but I've just got to get it finalised now. She's going to do a letter for me, as well as the letter I've already got off the neurosurgeon saying they don't think there's anything there.

"Fingers crossed that will be that and I'll be able to fight again. It's just about getting the evidence to the boxing board."

Murray fought at Madison Square Garden last year in a failed bid to win the WBA title against Brandon Rios, but he had to dig roads over Christmas to make money away from boxing.

"I've had years where I've been used to fighting and making money and as soon as the money ran out I'd just go and have another fight," he said.

"This time there was no fight on the horizon and, obviously, I've found it very hard. I'm 28-years-old now and I feel like a 28-year-old school leaver.

"Fingers crossed I'll get this license back and I'll be able to start fighting again."


Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet & £5 free every week