Groves announces ring return

  • Last Updated: July 8 2014, 15:32 BST

George Groves will return to the ring against Christopher Rebrasse on September 20 and insists his next fight is bigger than his double-header against British rival Carl Froch..

George Groves: Beaten twice by Froch but now on the comeback trail
George Groves: Beaten twice by Froch but now on the comeback trail

The 26-year-old super-middleweight lost twice to Froch in IBF and WBA title fights, with the second defeat coming at Wembley Stadium in May, but a bout against European champion Christopher Rebrasse on September 20 offers Groves the chance to get back to winning ways.

With the fight at Wembley also acting as a final eliminator for the WBC world super-middleweight title, Groves knows another defeat could cause serious harm to his title credentials.

"The Carl Froch fight, obviously the magnitude of it beat anything else we have ever seen in British boxing," he said.

"I didn't get the result I wanted so I have gone back to the drawing board and I always planned to improve but we asked 'how do I get back into the picture to fight for a world title?' This is it really.

"It is against a European champion but more importantly it is a WBC eliminator, win this fight and I fight for the WBC belt - that is the most important thing to me.

"For that reason I can't possibly afford to lose this fight and that is why it is more important.

"Every fight is important and every fight means so much, a loss can set you back a fair old amount but fortunately, on the back of such a high-profile fight.

"But it is back to action, back to work and this is the perfect fight for me."

The announcement comes less than six weeks since Froch stopped Groves in round eight in front of an 80,000 crowd, the second time in six months that the champion had successfully defended his titles.

But Groves was keen to overcome the disappointment and start plotting a slightly different course to the top as soon as he could.

"I'm not the sort of fighter who sits and dwells on anything," he said.

"I have watched it (the Froch fight) but not to beat myself up - it was to face reality because I'm a realistic fighter.

"There is nothing to really dwell on from the last fight apart from the fact I lost and I will never get over that.

"I don't doubt my chin, I got caught with a shot that would knock most guys out - I left that opening and Froch took advantage of it and I make sure now that I don't do it again.

"There are no doubts in my mind that I will become a world champion but I just haven't had it my way enough so far.

"The journey continues and everyone who has been a part of it so far has continued to support me and I thank them because there is a certain inevitability that I will be world champion.

"Win this fight and I am right back in the picture, that is vitally important - I can't wait to be world champion and it will happen in the near-future. It is good to be back in boxing and back in at the deep end.

"I approach my boxing a bit like high-stakes gambling - I put a lot on the line, sometimes it pays off and sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't pay off you lose big but I haven't changed that mentality.

"I'm not going to give in, I will strive to get the job done and this is the perfect route back, the quickest route and I could be WBC champion before Christmas."

Australian Sakio Bika, a former victim of Briton Joe Calzaghe, is the current WBC champion. He is due to defend his belt against Andre Dirrell in August.