Khan: Floyd clash will happen

  • By: Simon Crawford
  • Last Updated: May 12 2014, 13:19 BST

Amir Khan insists a megafight with pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather is "not a long way off".

Amir Khan: 'Stole the show' against Luis Collazo
Amir Khan: 'Stole the show' against Luis Collazo

It had looked odds on the two would collide earlier this month after Mayweather took the unusual step of asking his Twitter fans to help him decide whether to fight Marcos Maidana or Khan next.

Even though Khan was the popular choice, it was Maidana who Mayweather beat nine days ago to unify the WBC and WBA titles in the 147lb division.

However, the Briton strengthened his claims by knocking former world champion Luis Collazo to the canvas on three separate occasions before being awarded a lopsided points victory on his welterweight debut.

Khan firmly believes that he should be the man to face 37-year-old Mayweather next.

"We both have the same advisor now in Al Haymon and we're both with Golden Boy Promotions so it's a fight that is alays being spoken about," Khan told sportinglife.com.

"It's certainly not a long way off - it's a question of when it can be arranged. Mayweather wants to fight again in September, but I have Ramadan until the end of July and then I would need a three-month camp to prepare.

"If he is willing to push it back until November or December, then that's fine so there are still things that need to be talked about.

"But it's the fight that everyone wants to see and hopefully it will get sorted out. I think I'm the best challenger out there and I think I can beat him.

"It would be massive. And I would love it if we could get him over to the UK and fight at Wembley Stadium - there would be interest all over the world to watch that one."

Khan, 27, believes his impressive victory over Collazo underlines his claims to be Mayweather's next opponent.

Many observers feared Khan had bitten off more than he could chew by agreeing to face former world champion and veteran welterweight campaigner Collazo on his bow in the 147lb division.

Khan was in no way flattered by two judges scoring the bout 119-104, with the third having it 117-106, as his superior hand speed and much-improved defence frustrated Collazo, who had won his last four fights, including a shock second-round knockout win over highly-rated Victor Ortiz last time out.

"I know many people had questioned me taking this fight but it was good to prove the critics wrong," said Khan (29-3 19KOs).

"Collazo is an awkward southpaw and a fighter that many people have avoided in the past. He is a natural welterweight and had just come off a great win against Ortiz and had given Ricky Hatton a tough fight.

"But I was confident and I was pleased with my performance. Everything went according to plan and I my view I stole the show in Las Vegas.

"It was first fight for 13 months and those 12 rounds have done me the world of good. Now I want to keep busy - I want another fight before the end of the year and again next May."

Former Olympic silver medallist Khan believes moving up to welterweight is something he should have done earlier in his career.

"The 147lbs division ticks all the boxes for me, said Khan.

"It's something I should have done sooner. It was hurting me getting down to 140lbs but now I'm much happier.

"I feel very strong at welterweight as I showed against Collazo and I think that will start to show in my performances from now on."


New Sky Bet customers: Free matched bet up to £30