Fury back in February

  • Last Updated: January 24 2014, 18:13 GMT

Tyson Fury will take on veteran Argentine Gonzalo Omar Basile at London's Copper Box next month.

Tyson Fury: Set to return to action next month
Tyson Fury: Set to return to action next month

The unbeaten heavyweight has been confirmed on the undercard of Dereck Chisora's February 15 European title defence.

A date with 39-year-old Basile is Fury's first action since he stopped Steve Cunningham at Madison Square Garden in April last year.

"It's been a while," he told frankwarren.com, "but I'm looking forward to getting in the ring again and showing the world that Tyson Fury is back in action and on course for the world title.

"I wouldn't say that rust has set in because I haven't fought, I'm always training and in the gym sparring, but I'm now desperate to get in the ring at the Copper Box Arena in front of a big electric crowd and do what I was born and bred to do, fight and win."

Basile - three inches shorter than Fury at 6ft 6in - has been beaten eight times in 69 fights and has twice suffered crushing defeats in three trips to Europe.

Alexander Dimitrenko and Artur Szpilka both dealt with him in short measure, Dimitrenko winning inside a round in Germany in 2006 and Szpilka claiming a fourth-round knockout win six years later.

But a circumspect Fury said: "Basile looks good. He's experienced with 70 fights and has fought in plenty of title fights.

"He's seen a lot in his career against the likes of Dimitrenko and Szpilka, but he's never seen a man like Tyson Fury before."

"He's just a few inches shorter than me which is great because I've been fighting shorter men. He'll be near my height and once I work out the range and timing, those big right hands will be detonating on his jaw."


New Sky Bet customers: Free matched bet up to £30