Warren plans to sue Burns
Frank Warren this afternoon announced he would sue Ricky Burns for "substantial damages" following the WBO lightweight champion's defection to rival promoters Matchroom Sport.
- Related Content
The 29-year-old Scot was unveiled as the newest member of Matchroom's growing stable by managing director Eddie Hearn at a lunchtime press conference in central London.
In welcoming Burns, Hearn claimed that the fighter's contract with Warren had been ended last week after a termination notice was sent to the promoter.
Those comments were, however, at odds with quotes attributed to Warren in The Observer over the weekend.
Warren claimed Burns was still contracted to him and committed to the postponed unification contest against Miguel Vazquez at Wembley Arena on April 20.
And the matter now looks set for the courtroom after Warren - who saw super-middleweight George Groves leave for Matchroom only last week - revealed he was suing Burns.
"Since being promoted and managed by Frank Warren, Ricky Burns has earned just approaching three quarters of a million pounds and has had seven world title fights in just over two years," he said in a statement.
"Ricky Burns is under binding promotional and management contracts.
"Following the announcement by Eddie Hearn that Ricky Burns has signed with him, W. Promotions Limited and Frank Warren are suing Burns for substantial damages."
Hearn had earlier admitted he expected Warren to contest the termination, but said Matchroom was in a strong position to counter any argument.