Hawk test for Cleverly
Nathan Cleverly will defend his WBO light-heavyweight title against Shawn Hawk after the little-known American stepped in at short notice to challenge the Welshman in Los Angeles on Saturday.
- Related Content
Cleverly, 25, is hoping to build his name in the United States and had been due to showcase his skills against unbeaten Ryan Coyne.
However, Coyne had to drop out due to contractual complications and the search was on for a replacement opponent.
The Briton (24-0, 11KOs) will instead face 'Sioux Warrior' Hawk, 28, who has a record of 23 wins (17 knockouts) and two defeats with one draw. One of those defeats, however, came in his last fight against Eleider Alvarez in the summer.
Cleverly, who has been in California since last week, is not too concerned about doing any last-minute homework.
"I will be aiming to look good and will definitely be trying to take him out," he said.
"I will look at about three minutes of Hawk on YouTube. That is all I need to see what he's all about.
"He has a good record with a high KO ratio. So he's a big puncher and I won't treat him lightly because I can't get careless or reckless. He has a big opportunity by coming in late for a world title bid. He has nothing to lose. He is dangerous but I will be on my guard."
Original opponent Coyne is a southpaw whereas Hawk, from South Dakota, boxes orthodox but Cefn Fforest mathematics graduate Cleverly is unconcerned.
"If I go on my fighting instincts I should be fine on fight night," he said. "I should be able to do the business.
"I got to the stage where I didn't care any more who I was fighting. I decided I was ready to come here and fight whoever it is."